Friday, January 14, 2011

Workmares

Have you ever had a workmare?  I used to get them all the time.  Mostly while I was still in school.  Nowadays, not so much.  I think it's because when you're a student, you spend all day in school, and then all evening you do homework, so it stands to reason that you go to sleep and dream about school all night.

My recurring school-based workmare was that I was registered in a class that I didn't attend all year, and then I found out that the final exam was the next day.  Usually, the class was held in some strange location, like an empty swimming pool.  I've spoken with Matthew and he's had similar dreams - must have something to do with either A) being in Engineering or B) being spectacularly smart.

Funny aside - my workmare came true once.  In second or third year, I was in this ridiculous class - CMPUT 114 - Algorithms.  Wow, it was terrible.  The CS faculty decided that Modula-2 would be the language to use in the class.  P.S.  Modula-2?  That was written in 1977.  Most of the class was devoted to sorting algorithms.  That's why I like writing in a third-generation language.  I can say ArrayList.Sort() and it does a quicksort for me.  I don't have to first write it myself.  But I digress.  I happened to be on campus during exam week and thought that I would double-check my exams on those big green pieces of paper that they used to hang all over campus (do they still do that?  Probably not - it's not 1977 anymore).  Turns out that my exam for CMPUT 114 started in 10 minutes.  On the other side of campus.

So, I ran to the car, peeled out, drove around to the other side of campus, parked at Humanities and tore in to the building.  I borrowed a pen using the most panicky sentence ever uttered by man and made it in to the exam room shortly before the door-closing deadline.  Let me tell you, I tore through that exam.  (and P.S., what's worse than a programming exam where you have to write code.  And by write, I mean ACTUALLY write, longhand).  I was the last to arrive and the first to leave.  Awesome.  I managed to get a 4 in that class, totally based on my exam mark, since I didn't do so well on the assignments (see Modula-2).

But I bring up workmares because I had one the other night.  I haven't had one in a long time.  This is because when I leave from work, I spend the bus ride home thinking about work, then push it all out of my head until the next morning.  Work is work.  Home is home.  Which reminds me - I often hear people say how they want to be students again.  NO WAY.  Do you remember how time-consuming it is?  I like to be done my day at 5 (well, maybe 3 some days) and then not have to spend the evening doing more work.  Of course, I can't really say to my clients "well, I got most of the project working, I'll just take 80% instead of 100% on this one).

Back to the workmare - in this one, I was growing tulips.  How does this relate to my job?  Well, my tulip garden was planted according to customer specifications.  There was a review done to ensure that the tulips were growing at exactly the right rate as specified in the user stories.  Yes sir, this tulip is supposed to be exactly 1 inch tall at this time.  I think this one came after a day of sprint planning (read: soul-sucking) meetings.

I'd much rather spend my time dreaming of new musicals...

2 comments:

Janine said...

I've had those same school nightmares. Worse than finding out the exam is that day, is when, in the dream, you find out the exam is the next day, so theoretically, you COULD spend the day learning the course. I think that adds more stress to my dream.

But they are better than giant bookcases falling on you...and NO ONE comes to save you.

And I'm sure the dreams are from being really smart.

PS> Some guy came through the picture on my wall the other night...just to kill me. Luckily, I was able to jump around, scream, and scare him away...oh, and it woke James up too. Which probably saved his life as well, although he doesn't see it that way.

Colleen said...

I still have the exam nightmares sometimes! But, even worse, I now have "mommares", where it's Christmas morning, the kids are all heading downstairs to see their presents, and I realize that I forgot! Fortunatley, unlike Janine, I have not lived through one of those in real life.